Monday, April 8, 2013

What do I do with this Quinoa??

Good afternoon from sunny California!
Ok, new blog and dairy free is the name of the game so lets get this show on the road.
I've been cooking a lot of quinoa lately because I can make a big bowl of it and it is great for leftovers. It is good cold, but also reheats well, so yay quinoa! But I was getting bored with my usual use of chicken stock and herbs, so I decided to mix it up and this is what I came up with. I may try it another time with the addition of anchovy and chili to make it more puttanesca-ey, but for now, I think it's mighty tasty.

Mediterranean Quinoa with Olives

1 tbs coconut oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup tomato purée (or even leftover jarred marinara sauce)
1 bay leaf
A handful of kalamata olives
Chopped fresh parsley to garnish

1. Melt the oil over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for a few minutes, until the onions have started to soften.

2. Add rinsed quinoa and stir. Add purée, chicken stock, bay leaf and olives. Bring to a boil.

3. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.


Later gaters

No comments:

Post a Comment